Every driver in Maryland should know the minimum insurance needed to drive. It illegal to drive in Maryland without auto insurance. It is now Maryland Law to carry your insurance card in your car. In order to drive a car, you will need to have the least car insurance in Maryland.
Our team at Maryland Auto will work with each driver in the state to help them get the coverage they need. We offer a full range of options and will help you to find the right policy for your auto insurance needs.
Did you get a ticket for not having insurance in Maryland?
In the state of Maryland, by law you must have the minimum coverage for auto insurance on all vehicles. The Maryland Department of Motor Vehicles requires that all Maryland registered vehicles must be insured by a company licensed in the state of Maryland.
Maryland Auto Insurance Fund offers fair rates on required car insurance coverage for all Maryland drivers no matter what their previous driving record is like. It’s against the law to drive without insurance in Maryland.
Many states have laws that dictate the minimum level of auto coverage you must obtain. In Maryland, you must have auto insurance, and carry it with you in your car.
The state of Maryland requires the Minimum Auto Insurance:
- $30,000 for bodily injury per person,
- $60,000 for bodily injury for two or more people, and
- $15,000 for property damage.
If you drive uninsured in the state of Maryland, you can expect the following fines and penalties:
- $150 fine for the first 30 days and $7 for each additional day, up to an annual maximum of $2500 per vehicle.
- Your registration will be suspended; if you drive with a suspended registration, they can impound your vehicle and you may be ticketed and/or fined.
- If you fail to respond to MVA insurance notifications, they will transfer your case to the Central Collections Unit (CCU).
- Once they send your to CCU, fines are subject to a 17% collection fee, and your income tax return will be intercepted.
Am I eligible for Maryland Auto Insurance?
To qualify for auto insurance through Maryland Auto Insurance you must be:
- Unable to obtain Maryland car insurance on the private market and prove denial of coverage by at least two carriers for reasons other than failure to make payment.
- A Maryland resident
- A licensed driver in the state of Maryland and have a current Maryland vehicle registration
Your MAIF provider is here to assist you. Call a Maryland Auto Insurance provider to learn more about receiving affordable insurance through My MD Auto. Our MAIF providers are knowledgeable and friendly.
We work with each driver on a personal basis. Our reps will build an insurance package that fits your budget and meets your needs. Our goal is to help drivers in Maryland obtain the coverage they need to remain protected in case of an wreck. Don’t wait until it’s too late; contact your Maryland Auto Insurance provider today to explore your options and learn more about auto insurance requirements.
What is liability insurance?
Liability coverage pays for damages to another person that you harm while driving. If you are in an wreck and you are at fault, liability insurance will cover the damage to the vehicles involved and any injuries to the people involved. There are two basic parts: property damage and bodily harm.
Can I register my vehicle without liability insurance?
No! Any Maryland resident who wants to register a vehicle must show proof that they have insurance on the car. You must be insured by a licensed insurance agent in the state of Maryland at all times. The minimum coverage you should have is liability insurance.
Where can I get the minimum car insurance in Maryland?
We offer Maryland Auto Insurance for drivers who having issues getting insurance in the private sector. If you need help with monthly payments of your premium, learn more about MAIF payment plans here.