Knowing the minimum insurance requirements should be important to all drivers who are insured in Maryland. It is important to note that it is illegal to drive in Maryland without auto insurance. In order to operate a car, you will need to meet the legal requirements for minimum car insurance in Maryland.
Our team at MAIF can work with all drivers in the state of Maryland to help them obtain the coverage they need. We offer a full range of insurance options and can work with you to find the right policy for your auto insurance needs.
Did you get a ticket for not having insurance in Maryland?
In the state of Maryland it is required by law to carry the minimum auto insurance coverage on all operating vehicles. The Maryland Department of Motor Vehicles requires that all Maryland registered vehicles must be insured by a company licensed in the state of Maryland.
Maryland Auto Insurance Fund offers competitive rates on required car insurance coverage for all Maryland drivers regardless of their previous driving record. It’s against the law to drive uninsured in Maryland.
Many states have laws that dictate the minimum level of auto coverage you must obtain. Here are the requirements for drivers in Maryland.
Minimum Requirements for Maryland Auto Insurance:
- $30,000 for bodily injury per person,
- $60,000 for bodily injury for two or more people, and
- $15,000 for property damage.
If you drive uninsured in the state of Maryland, you can expect the following fines and penalties:
- $150 fine for the first 30 days and $7 for each additional day, up to an annual maximum of $2500 per vehicle.
- Your registration will be suspended; if you drive with a suspended registration, your vehicle may be impounded and you may be ticketed and/or fined.
- Failure to respond to MVA insurance notifications will result in your case being transferred to the Central Collections Unit (CCU).
- Once your case is sent to CCU, fines are subject to a 17% collection fee and your income tax return will be intercepted.
Am I eligible for Maryland Auto Insurance?
To qualify for auto insurance through Maryland Auto Insurance you must be:
- Unable to obtain Maryland car insurance on the private market and prove denial of coverage by at least two carriers for reasons other than failure to make payment.
- A Maryland resident
- A licensed driver in the state of Maryland and have a current Maryland vehicle registration
Your MAIF provider is here to assist you. Call a Maryland Auto Insurance provider to learn more about receiving affordable insurance through MAIF. Our MAIF providers are knowledgeable and friendly. We work with each driver on a personal basis to build an insurance package that fits their budget and meets their coverage needs. Our goal is to help drivers in Maryland obtain the coverage they need to remain protected in case of an accident. Don’t wait until its too late; contact your Maryland Auto Insurance provider today to explore some of your options.
If you need assistance with monthly payments of your insurance premium, learn more about MAIF payment plans here.