Ready to enjoy the open road on a motorcycle? Make sure you have the proper insurance! Get a Motorcycle Insurance Quote today.
If you live in Maryland, you must carry proper motorcycle insurance before driving on the road on a motorcycle. Our agents will work with you to get a motorcycle insurance policy with Maryland Auto Insurance. From minimum requirements to policy options that meet your needs, we are here to help.
If two or more insurance companies in Maryland turn you down, we can help you get insured. We will get you the right coverage and a payment that will fit into your budget. Almost all states require all drives to hold a certain amount of liability insurance. Get Maryland auto insurance for your motorcycle today that you can afford. Our policies will give you the peace of mind to enjoy the ride.
Minimum Motorcycle Insurance Requirements
Just like automobiles, motorcycles need to meet minimum insurance requirements. You cannot legally drive it on the road without proper coverage. The state of Maryland requires that motorcycle drivers have insurance that covers:
- Bodily Injury: $30,000 per person and $60,000 per two people or more
- Property Damage Liability: $15,000
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): $2,500 for passenger related medical expenses in the event of an accident
- Uninsured motorist coverage in the same amounts for bodily injury and property damage
Other requirements include:
- All motorcycle drivers and passengers must wear a DOT approved helmet with eye protection
- You must send proof of insurance (FR-19) to the MVA
We can help you file your FR-19 to avoid penalties and loss of vehicle registration.
Know the MD Laws
It is important to know and follow all Maryland motorcycle laws when driving. This will ensure your safety and the safety of those around you. All of Maryland’s traffic laws apply to motorcycle operators. The Maryland motorcycle laws include:
- Driver and passenger footrests are mandatory when driving with a passenger.
- All motorcycle drivers and passengers must wear a helmet.
- We recommend using your headlight at all times for safety reasons however, it is only required at night.
- Most types of earplugs are restricted and helmet speakers are only legal in ONE ear.
- Motorcycles must have a muffler.
- Lane sharing is legal: riders side by side in one lane.
- Lane splitting is illegal: driving on the line in traffic to pass.
Motorcycle Insurance FAQs
Is motorcycle insurance expensive?
The price of your plan and deductible will depend on the type of motorcycle you insure. It will also depend on the age and location. It is like getting car insurance. If you drive and insure an expensive car, you expect to pay more for insurance because of the cost of the car. The same concept applies to motorcycle insurance.
Do you need separate motorcycle insurance?
No. Most of the time you can bundle insurance plans if they are from the same company. Motorcycle coverage should be part of a bundle to save you time and money.
Do You Need A Motorcycle Insurance Policy?
Yes. The state of Maryland requires you to have motorcycle insurance coverage. Call us at 301-499-0135 to learn more about Maryland Auto Insurance options and to discuss our motorcycle insurance rates. Our My Maryland Auto agents will work with you to get a policy that meets your needs. We will help you enjoy the open road with peace of mind that you have coverage.