Ready to enjoy the open road on a motorcycle?
As a Maryland resident, you are required to carry appropriate motorcycle insurance before hitting the road on a motorcycle. From minimum requirements to policy options that meet your needs, our agents can work with you to establish a motorcycle insurance policy with Maryland Auto Insurance.
If you have been turned down by two or more traditional insurance companies in Maryland, we can help you get insured with the right coverage and a payment that you can fit into your budget. Get affordable Maryland auto insurance for your motorcycle today.
Minimum Motorcycle Insurance Requirements
Just like automobiles, motorcycles need to meet minimum insurance requirements too. The state of Maryland requires that motorcycle drivers maintain the following level of insurance:
- Bodily Injury: $30,000/person and $60,000/two people or more
- Property Damage: $15,000
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): $2,500 for passenger related medical expenses in the event of an accident
- Uninsured motorist coverage in the same amounts for bodily injury and property damage
Other important requirements include:
- All motorcycle drivers and passengers must wear a DOT-approved helmet with eye protection
- Proof of insurance (FR-19) must be sent to the MVA
We can help you file your FR-19 to avoid penalties and loss of vehicle registration.
Know the MD Laws
It is important to know and follow all Maryland motorcycle laws when driving to ensure your safety and the safety of those around you. All of Maryland’s traffic laws apply to motorcycle operators. The Maryland motorcycle laws currently include:
- Driver and passenger footrests are mandatory when driving with a passenger.
- All motorcycle drivers and passengers are required to wear a helmet.
- Headlight use is only required at night, but for added safety, we recommend using it at all times.
- Most types of earplugs are prohibited and helmet speakers are only legal in ONE ear.
- Motorcycles must have a muffler.
- Lane sharing is legal: riders side by side in one lane.
- Lane splitting is illegal: driving on the line in traffic to pass.
Need A Motorcycle Insurance Policy?
Call us at 301-499-0135 to learn more about Maryland Auto Insurance policies for motorcycles in MD. Our experienced My MD Auto agents will work with you to establish a policy that meets your needs so you can enjoy the open road with peace of mind that you are covered.